Today’s decision maintains important protections for workers
Protective ballot underway
July 31st: Unite, which represents construction workers throughout Ireland, today (Friday) welcomed the decision by Mr Justice Simons to put a stay on the orders proposed in the recent High Court decision striking down the Electrical Sectoral Employment Order. The Government has stated its intention to appeal the High Court decision.
Commenting, Unite Regional Officer Tom Fitzgerald said that today’s decision vindicated Unite’s call on June 24th for the decision to be stayed pending appeal. Mr Fitzgerald also said that the union is currently conducting a protective ballot of members seeking a mandate for industrial action in the event of any employer seeking to reduce terms and conditions.
“Today’s decision maintains important and hard-won protections for workers throughout the construction sector.
“Notwithstanding this decision, however, Unite – together with other affiliate unions of the Congress Construction Industry Committee – will continue balloting our members for industrial action in the event that any employer seeks to use last month’s High Court decision as a pretext for reducing terms and conditions. The ballot will conclude on August 31st.
“As we await the outcome of the State’s appeal to the Supreme Court, our members know that the surest safeguard of their terms and conditions is their industrial strength”, Tom Fitzgerald concluded.
Pingback: NSSN 496: Join the NHS Pay protests on Saturday August 8th | National Shop Stewards Network