For the attention of Unite Representatives (Ireland) – December 2021
It is time to set in motion the arrangements for electing Unite Representatives for the next triennial period 2022 – 2025 as the current electoral period expires on the 31st March 2022. The elections outlined below are required to take place between 1st January and 31st March 2022 and those elected will hold office for three years from 1st April 2022.
Please note that the information is different for branches and workplaces, so make sure to download and read the information relevant to you (clearly noted below).
All Branches are required to hold the triennial elections for branch officers, as per Rule 17, including:
- Branch chair
- Branch secretary
- Treasurer (this post may be held by the branch secretary)
- Equalities officer
Plus other such officers as the Branch may choose to elect.
Election of Workplace Reps
The period of office for workplace reps will expire on 31st March 2022. As per Rule 18 this includes:
- Shop steward/workplace representative
- Safety representative
- Learning representative
- Equality representative
- Environmental representative
Below you will find further information, correspondence, forms and documents to assist you in making the necessary arrangements to elect representatives in your workplace and/or your Branch.
Information for Branch Elections:
- Letter to Branch Secretaries re. elections
- Important Notes for Branches – Accounts & Compliance
- Guidance on holding Branch Meetings online
- Getting involved – A leaflet explaining the role of branch officers
- Branch Elections Recording Form – A form for use in the branch elections, to complete and return as indicated
- Guidelines for Branch Auditors
- Model Branch Standing Orders
- Branch Standards
- Unite Rule book
- Link to structures of Unite
Information for Workplace reps’ elections:
- Letter to Workplace reps re. elections
- Getting involved – A leaflet explaining the role of workplace representatives
- Workplace reps election form – A form for use in workplace elections, to complete and return to your full-time Official/admin support
Please note that if any representative/Branch Officer was recently elected as a result of casual vacancies in 2021, the election would have been until the end of the electoral period ie December 2021 so they must stand for re-election by end March 2022, as their terms of office must be in line with the electoral period; reps’ terms need to be synchronised with the terms for the rest of the constitutional structure, i.e. 2022-2025